Thursday, January 22, 2009

Who says we can't have it all?

Disclaimer: this is coming off the heels of an argument with husband and some very strong feelings on my part, if you don't agree I am sorry! But do it respectfully!


So, we moved into our house just about year ago! Although we knew we had a baby on the way we were talking about pets and how I want a dog. Husband oh so intelligently suggested maybe we wait Little while after Emma was born and we've been in the house awhile! Okay, sure! I can do that. Well, I just happen to be browsing through craigslist (another thing I do when I don't want to do homework). And there were these cutest little lab puppies for sale! I fell in love- e-mailed the link to husband and said please and batted my ever so cute puppy dog eyes. He said "no way."
After shaking of the initial shock of being told "no" like I am a five year old girl asking for a pony I just started to get upset. Husband got home and I brought up! He threw out the line: "well you want it all don't you? a puppy, a baby, a job, you are finishing your degree!" You can't have it all! And that is where I get upset!

Whether husband meant this or not, I'm going to bring it up because I feel strongly about it! and my opinions may run contrary to those of you who know me! Husband was referring to me wanting to work outside of the home and have more kids sooner rather than later! Being a Christan and having spent a year teaching at a christian school, I was around a lot of people (men mostly) whose first thought when they found out I was pregnant was oh, and this was your first year teaching too bad you won't be back next year! Ah, excuse me? Who said I wouldn't be back next year?! Another common sentiment was "Oh Mrs. English teacher once you lay your eyes on her you will not want to leaver her." Well, that is all fine and dandy- but what if I want to go back to work? Who mandated that Christian women get pregnant, and stay at home? Being a stay at home mom is a job! Regardless if we get paid or not! I happen to think we all have callings in our life! I think really, it needs to be a calling to stay at home with a child all day long! Just as I feel me working with teens outside of the home is a calling! I think we are given certain gifts and graces to work within those jobs! I happen to think that I am meant to work outside of the home. This does not mean however, that I hate being at home with Emma! What it does mean is, yes there is a certain level of not being fully satisfied because I do believe there is more I should be doing! However, I do feel like our family is not complete and another child is a definite thing, husband agrees on that much! But, why do people make me feel like a walking contradiction? Hey, if I can afford to send one or two kids to daycare that I know and trust, and work on the week days..What is wrong with that? Just as I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be a stay at home mom!

Its weird that we live in a world that just swore in our first Black president, but still there are people out there that believe a woman's place is in the home!

No comments:

Post a Comment