Monday, January 26, 2009

"omg, really? No way!"

Well, that was the reaction that I got when I told Husband's co-workers how old I was when I got married! For the record I was 19! Saturday night Husband and I had a blissfully wonderful, but cold night out without Emma! We had a farewell dinner for his boss. So we were sitting at the table with one couple, probably mid 30s and his boss, who is a divorced career driven lady. The couple in their 30s say "how long have you been married?" me "Five years." The nice couple lady "really?" with a puzzled look on her face! Me "Yeah, I was 19 when I got married." Geesh, their reaction was enough to get the other tables looking at us! I was so baffled by their reactions....Then I remembered! I am used to be around people who all got married at around that age, for the same reasons!




Out of my 5 closest friends, the oldest to get married was my buddy Sarah who was I *think* 21. The rest of us got married at either 18,19, or 20. Now why you may ask? I guess our beliefs! I knew even after Husband broke up with me my senior year in high school that he was the guy that I was supposed to marry! I just knew! Felt confident about it! And apparently after 4 months of being a part and a month before me moving away to college, he finally figured it out as well! We spent two college semesters away from each other (not that far, only three hours). And I just couldn't stand it! We both knew he would be transferring to a SUNY school the next year, and I was at a private Christian school. The thing was, we wanted to be with each other! So, why not just get married? Seriously, isn't that what people do? They find the person they are going to marry, and they get married? Even if it is at that age? Why didn't we live with each other? That's easy, we just believed that, is not what a Godly relationship looked like! So, yes we got married young, and I look back and it seems real young! Honestly, I kind of want to be the couple that proves everyone wrong, all statistics say that marrying young is a bad idea and it can't end well! I think ours will! The nice couple in their 30s with two kids, and a life said well your likes and dislikes change! I agreed they do! However, come on all those married people out there, didn't you have the moment when you just knew you could spend the rest of your life with that certain person? So, why then did the couple in their 30s get married if their likes and dislikes will change as well? Because, they knew they could and wanted to spend the rest of their life with each other! Why then, at 19 couldn't I make that decision rationally?
People, who are my age now are and are married are getting divorced left and right, and frankly they are giving couples like us a bad rep! Seriously, I think that even at my young age I realized that being married is hard work, and that's where people get thrown off! They think why should a relationship be work? Well, everything we do is work! Why wouldn't we expect for our marriage to be? I mean think about it! Having a baby is work- do we just not give birth b/c it is work? Making food is work, but we still eat? You get it? So, although getting married at 19 has equaled more work, I think it is worth it! and I will continue to shock people, when I tell them that I got married at 19! Well, here is me and husband a couple weeks past my 19th birthday! This happens to be one of the greatest days of my life! And I still believe that after five years of, maturing, changing, and sometimes doubting!

No comments:

Post a Comment