Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wanting to be a mom: Selfish or not?

So, one of the flame-worthy post tonight on BOTB (The Bump one) was entitled "its always selfish to want to be a mother." At first I thought I agreed then, I saw some of what the women said and I wasn't sure.

So why did I want to be a mom? I wanted to know what it feels like to be pregnant. I felt like that was a promise in the Bible that I would be a mother. I wanted to bring a child into the world and raise it "right"(selfish I know).

Some of the reasons why the ladies thought that it wasn't selfish is because it is an instinct. Woman are born with that instinct. Some people ignore it, some people force in down until its really the right time but, for the most part women feel the need to procreate, and then mother that baby. I think this is true! If you think about it; there is scientific research that shows that when women are in their "fertile time" they are the most interested in sex. That is no mistake!

So, I think that being a mother is both selfish and instinct. However, if you are a mother the first lesson you learn is that it is one of the most selfLESS jobs hat a woman can hold. I always made a comment to husband when Emma was NB- he would ask have you eaten yet and I said no I will eat after Emma does. Most of that was because Emma was not gaining weight as she was supposed to in the beginning HOWEVER that is what comes with mommy territory- the baby becomes priority!

I do believe however, that there are certain situations that the selfishness is extreme and the reasons to have a baby should be examined. Obviously- any 16 year old girl who is trying to get pg should not! There are other reasons but, I am not sure I want to get into it here :)


S0, why did/do you want to get pg? Do you think its selfish or instinct- I want to know your thoughts btw------if you are reading this be a follower if you haven't become one already :)

2 comments:

  1. Please post where to find the blog you are writing about. I need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its not a blog but, a post on thebump.com. It was on the babies on the brain forum (BOTB). I will see if I can find it and put a link for you!

    ReplyDelete