Friday, February 27, 2009

Sackcloth

In the Bible when somebody died usually there would be a period of mourning...It would be obvious. The things that people wore, the way they looked made it clear that this person was in mourning. I always remember hearing a story about somebody from the Bible taring his robe and waring sackcloth in after the death of a loved one. This is how I felt like this morning...I got up early this morning to do my hair, put my make up on, put on a dress that I ironically wore to a wedding only three months ago. Seriously, why in the heck do I care what I look like when I am going to a memorial service for a friend? Whats the point?

Last night we went to the calling hours, I got there and saw my friend Annette and we hugged and it was great! I think it was the first time that I really let my emotions go. I mean I have cried all week long. However, I am not really sure I connected it the death of Katya. I felt so removed from the situation because we live an hour away like it wasn't real to me. Well, when we walked into the church and I saw her paintings and pictures of her all of the church. It hit me. She is gone! Then, I walked into the sanctuary to see Chad standing at the front of the room in front of her coffin. Yeah this is happening! I am glad that we went to calling hours because after we hugged Chad and cried together I got to sit down and reflect.

Today was harder! Like people thought there were people standing all over the place, there was an overflow room! Katya truly has really touched a lot of people in her life! Just the amount of people that showed up to mourn made that obvious! I think I literally cried through the whole two hours service! However, the most heartwarming time was when after laying a flower on her coffin Husband and I went over and hugged Chad and Ella...immediately he started bawling! The Husband shared with Chad about a dream he had last night. The dream was that he saw Jesus and He was crying every single tear that Chad cried. That was the end...We all three were bawling! Although, there were sad moments it was fun to look at all the pictures and see her and reflect back on how much fun we had with Katya. Annette and I found a picture of Husband and me, Annette and her husband, Chad and Katya at the fourth of July fireworks on Hannawah Pond! Every year we take canoes and Kayaks out and watch them from the water. Well, last time we all went together Annette and her husband and me and my husband were in a conoe together..We capsized it! Katya couldn't stop laughing!! her and Chad insisted on pictures being taken..So there we all are...most of us soaking wet smiling and having a good time! That's gotta be one of the fondest moments I have of her. She was just a cheerful person always laughing and had a smile on her face. I really literally do feel honored to have known her!
Even as I sit down to write this, its hard to think about the fact that Katya is really the one who is gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment